Privacy Notice

Privacy Notice for Pupils, Parents and Carers

Our use of your information

Who will own my data once I submit it

Hollinsclough CE Academy

Why do you need my information

We use both parent/carer and pupil information:

  • to support pupil learning
  • to monitor and report on pupil progress
  • to provide appropriate pastoral care
  • to assess the quality of our services
  • to comply with the law regarding data sharing

The categories of pupil information that we collect, hold and share include:

  • Personal information (such as name, unique pupil number and address)
  • Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and free school meal eligibility)
  • Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
  • Flexi-schooling information (if applicable)
  • Assessment information
  • Exclusions/behavioural information
  • Relevant medical information
  • Special educational needs information

What allows you to use my information

We collect and process pupil information as part of our public functions under both the Data Protection Act and Article 6, part (e) of the General Data Protection Regulation.
The legislation and guidance that allows us to do this in the UK include, but is not limited to:

Who will my information be shared with

We routinely share pupil information with:

  • schools that the pupils attend after leaving us
  • our/your local authority as requested (including Safeguarding and Child Protection teams, Social Workers and Police) or if you de-register your child/children
  • the Department for Education (DfE)

To find out more about the data collection requirements placed on us by the Department for Education (for example; via the school census) go to the Department for Education’s website.

We are required by law, to provide information about our pupils to the Department for Education as part of statutory data collections, such as the school census’ and the early years’ census. Some of this information is then stored in the National Pupil Database.

Visit the National Pupil Database (NPD) website for further information on the National Pupil Database.
The Department for Education may share information about our pupils from the National Pupil Database with third parties who promote the education or well-being of children in England by:

  • conducting research or analysis
  • producing statistics
  • providing information, advice or guidance

To be granted access to pupil information, organisations must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of that data, along with the ongoing security arrangements and retention and use of the data in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation.

For more information about the department’s data sharing process, please visit the Department of Education’s website.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t

The majority of pupil information you provide to us is mandatory as part of our public functions under both the Data Protection Act and Article 6, part (e) of the General Data Protection Regulation, when we collect information outside of this, we will seek your consent to collect and store this.

How long will you keep this information for and why

The length of time we keep various forms of information is outlined in our Data Retention Policy, using the guidelines laid out by the DfE.

How will my information be stored

  • Management Information System – secure online platform
  • Pupil record folders
  • Paper copies filed and stored securely
  • Email and Texting tools used to administer the school communications with you

What rights do I have when it comes to my information

Under the Data Protection Act and General Data Protection Regulation, you have the right to request access to the information that we hold about you.

To request access to your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, contact Mr Stephen Malbon – our Data Controller:  Further details can be found in our Data Protection Policy.

You also have the right to:

  • object to the processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
  • prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
  • object to decisions being taken by automated means
  • in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is being used

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal information, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance.

You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details:

Will the Information I share be used to make automated decisions about me, my family or my child


Will the information I provide be transferred abroad and if so why